Monday, September 14, 2026

BUY NOW OR BUY LATER?

Buy Now or Buy Later in Sarasota & Manatee County?

I get this question constantly: should I buy now, or wait for mortgage rates or home prices to come down? My answer isn't automatically “buy now.” The better answer depends on your finances, how long you expect to own the home, the property you're considering and what waiting would actually accomplish for you.

Multilingual Real Estate Service

In addition to English, I also speak:
Hovorím po slovensky 🇸🇰  |  Mluvím česky 🇨🇿  |  Mówię po polsku 🇵🇱


My Real-estate assistant speaks Spanish: Habla español 🇪🇸

Current Mortgage Benchmark

6.76%

Freddie Mac average 30-year fixed-rate mortgage as of September 10

Sarasota Median Price

$493,500

Latest completed single-family median sale price

Manatee Median Price

$495,000

Latest completed single-family median sale price

Local Single-Family Supply

4.0 Months

Combined Sarasota-Manatee July inventory, down from 5.2 months a year earlier

Waiting sounds simple until you ask what you're waiting for

“I'm going to wait” can be a perfectly reasonable decision.

But I always want to know what the buyer expects to change.

Are you waiting to save a larger down payment?

Are you improving your credit?

Do you expect your income to change?

Are you waiting for mortgage rates to fall?

Or are you assuming home prices will be lower next year?

Those are completely different reasons, and they deserve different strategies.

Janka's take

I wouldn't tell someone to buy just because they're afraid prices might rise. And I wouldn't tell someone to wait just because mortgage rates feel high. I'd run the numbers both ways. If buying works comfortably today and the right property comes along, it's worth considering. If the numbers are uncomfortable, waiting can be the smarter move. The decision should come from your finances, not a headline.

What today's Sarasota-Manatee market is actually telling us

The latest completed local numbers don't show a frozen housing market.

Across Sarasota and Manatee Counties, single-family sales increased year over year while active inventory declined.

Sarasota County's median single-family sale price reached $493,500, while Manatee County was $495,000.

Combined single-family inventory across the two counties fell to approximately 4.0 months of supply.

That matters for buyers who are waiting specifically for a large increase in available homes.

It may happen.

It may not.

No Realtor®, economist or lender can promise where inventory, mortgage rates or prices will be six or twelve months from now.

Mortgage rates matter, but they aren't the only number

Freddie Mac's latest benchmark put the average 30-year fixed mortgage at 6.76%.

Your actual rate may be different based on credit profile, loan program, down payment, points, lender, property type and other factors.

Rates absolutely affect affordability.

But buyers sometimes focus so heavily on the rate that they stop looking at purchase price, insurance, taxes, HOA fees and the property itself.

I prefer looking at the full monthly housing cost.

Thinking About Buying Now or Later?

Before trying to predict next year's market, find out what buying actually looks like for you today. A pre-qualification can give you an early estimate of your possible financing range and monthly payment. It is not a final loan approval or commitment to lend.

Start Pre-Qualification

When buying now may make sense

Buying now may be worth considering when several things line up.

  • Your income is stable: The payment fits without stretching your budget.
  • You have appropriate savings: You can handle the down payment, closing expenses and post-closing reserves.
  • You expect to stay long enough: Buying generally makes more sense when you're not expecting an immediate move, although every situation is different.
  • The home fits your needs: You're not buying something inappropriate simply because you feel pressure to act.
  • The complete ownership cost works: Mortgage, taxes, insurance, HOA and maintenance are all manageable.
  • The price makes sense: The property compares reasonably with recent sales and current competition.

When waiting may make sense

Waiting isn't failure.

Sometimes it's exactly what I'd recommend.

  • Your monthly payment would be uncomfortable.
  • You need time to improve credit or reduce debt.
  • Your job or income situation is uncertain.
  • You don't have enough reserves after closing.
  • You may relocate soon.
  • You haven't found a home that truly fits.
  • You're buying only because you're afraid of missing out.

What if rates fall after you buy?

Buyers ask this all the time.

If rates fall later, refinancing may be possible for some homeowners, subject to qualification, loan terms, closing costs, property value and market conditions at that time.

But refinancing isn't guaranteed.

I would never recommend buying today based on an assumption that you'll definitely refinance into a lower rate later.

The current payment should work without relying on that future event.

What if prices fall after you buy?

They might.

Real estate doesn't move in a straight line.

That's why I don't view a primary residence like a short-term stock trade.

If you're planning to own the home for only a short period, potential transaction costs and market changes deserve extra consideration.

If the home is intended for a longer-term living situation, the decision involves more than trying to perfectly time next month's or next year's price.

What if rates drop and more buyers enter the market?

This is the other side buyers sometimes forget.

A lower mortgage rate could improve your purchasing power.

But if lower rates bring significantly more buyers into the market, competition for desirable homes could also increase.

That does not mean prices will definitely rise.

It means rate movement doesn't happen in isolation.

Buyer demand, inventory and seller behavior can move at the same time.

Compare payment scenarios instead of guessing

Here's the conversation I'd rather have:

What does a $450,000 home look like at today's available financing?

What happens if you wait and save another $20,000?

What if the rate changes by half a percentage point?

What if the home price changes too?

What if you're paying another year of rent while waiting?

That's useful analysis.

Saying “I'll buy when rates hit 5%” without knowing whether or when that will happen isn't really a plan.

Renting while you wait isn't free

This doesn't mean renting is bad.

Renting offers flexibility, and that can be extremely valuable.

But if your reason for waiting is purely financial, include your rent in the comparison.

Look at the total cost of continuing to rent versus the total cost of owning.

Then consider flexibility, maintenance responsibility, transaction costs and your expected length of stay.

The answer can be different for every household.

Don't ignore Florida insurance

A buyer who is approved for a certain mortgage amount still needs to know what the actual property will cost to insure.

Roof age, construction, wind-mitigation features, flood information, location, coverage choices and insurer requirements can all affect the cost.

Two homes at the same purchase price can have very different monthly ownership costs.

That's why insurance belongs in the home-buying conversation early.

Don't forget HOA and CDD costs

Sarasota and Manatee County have many communities with HOA fees, condominium fees or Community Development District assessments.

Those costs need to be included when comparing homes.

A lower-priced home with higher recurring fees may have a larger monthly carrying cost than a more expensive home with fewer fees.

The right property can matter more than the perfect market

Buyers sometimes wait for everything to line up perfectly.

Lower price.

Lower rate.

More inventory.

Seller willing to negotiate.

Perfect house.

That combination may happen.

It also may not.

Instead of trying to buy in the perfect market, I think the smarter goal is buying the right property on terms that work for your finances.

Questions I'd ask before deciding to wait

  1. What specifically do I expect to improve by waiting?
  2. How much could I realistically save during that period?
  3. Will my credit or debt profile improve?
  4. How much rent will I pay while waiting?
  5. What happens if rates don't fall?
  6. What happens if home prices don't fall?
  7. What if inventory tightens further?
  8. Would I still be comfortable buying if my future assumptions don't happen?

Questions I'd ask before deciding to buy

  1. Does the payment comfortably fit my budget?
  2. Will I still have emergency reserves after closing?
  3. How long do I reasonably expect to own the property?
  4. Does the home actually meet my needs?
  5. Have I compared recent sales?
  6. Do I understand insurance and flood considerations?
  7. Do I understand HOA or CDD costs?
  8. Am I comfortable buying without assuming a future refinance?

So, should you buy now or later?

If the numbers work, your finances are stable, you're planning to stay and the right property is available, buying now may be worth serious consideration.

If buying would leave you financially stretched, your situation is changing or you're depending on future events to make the payment affordable, waiting may be the better decision.

I don't think buyers need a salesperson telling them it's always a good time to buy.

They need good numbers, current local information and somebody willing to say when a property or timing doesn't make sense.

Search Sarasota & Manatee County Real Estate

Buy Now or Buy Later? Swipe Through the Key Points

Trying to decide whether to buy now or wait?

Let's look at your real numbers instead of trying to predict the market. I can help you compare current Sarasota and Manatee County properties while a qualified lender helps you understand today's financing options, so you can decide whether buying now or waiting makes more sense for you.

Janka Romanski, Florida Realtor®

📞 Call/Text 941.780.7788

Market sources: REALTOR® Association of Sarasota and Manatee and Florida Realtors® July 2026 housing data; mortgage-rate benchmark from Freddie Mac's Primary Mortgage Market Survey.

DISCLAIMER Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed and may change. Mortgage rates, loan programs, borrower qualification, home prices, inventory, taxes, insurance, HOA/CDD fees and other ownership costs vary by buyer and property. Published mortgage-rate averages are general market benchmarks and are not individual loan quotes or guarantees. Pre-qualification is not final loan approval or a commitment to lend. Future mortgage rates, home prices, inventory and property values cannot be predicted or guaranteed. This content is for general real estate education only and is not legal, financial, tax, lending, insurance, appraisal, inspection or investment advice. Buyers should independently verify financing, property condition, insurance, flood information, association rules, taxes and other material facts with appropriate qualified professionals. Equal professional service is provided in accordance with Fair Housing laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUY NOW OR BUY LATER?

Buy Now or Buy Later in Sarasota & Manatee County? I get this question constantly: shoul...